Thursday, November 3, 2011

I'm more like my mother than I'd ever like to be

When you're a kid, the last person you want to grow up to be is your parents. The horror! I'll never be like them! They don't know anything!

Well, well, well, let me tell you what I have found out in my short 21 years of life on this planet. I find out that I"m more like my parents, and, particularly my mother, every single day.

I have been told by numerous people about my "face". It's a mixture of zoning out because I lose patience and a general not giving two craps about what you're talking about. I promise, I don't do it on purpose it just happens.

Two nights ago, I was having a discussion with my mom. She was talking about a conversation she had, and then I said it.

"I bet you were making that face," I said.

She looked kind of surprised. Then I described that face to her. Without hesitation, my girlfriend looked at me and said, "Ben, you mean the face that you make."

Apparently I had just described "the face". Oh, what have I become? She's not the only one that's said that to me either. I actually had someone catch "the face" on camera. I'm going to keep them innocent in all of this, but I appreciate the documentation. There is evidence and know you all aren't lying. I truly do have "the face".

It doesn't stop there. My dad was sitting in his lounging chair last weekend and I looked at his feet. They are like mine, an elongated version of Bilbo Baggin's feet.

It's funny how you can grow up praying not to become something, but I have realized I would want to be no one other than my parents. They're kind, giving, compassionate, and share a love that is straight out of one of those sickening romantic movies. They're incredible human beings and I'd be fortunate to turn out like either of them.

I'm becoming my parents and maybe it's no so bad as I once envisioned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment