Friday, August 5, 2011

WILT: If Hollywood's creativity isn't dead, it's dying

I worked in the newspaper industry for three years. I use that term loosely because it was on the collegiate level, and my only experience in the "real" world was a few scattered articles in my local paper. The chatter was endless when the subject of print media dying out was brought up. I loved what I did, and I still believe that there are people out there passionate enough about the business to see to it that print media never dies out.

I really like to read and, although e-readers are really attractive, I just can't shake the feel of a book in my hands. Now I said all of that to say this, it seems that cinematography doesn't exist anymore. When I think of great movie, I think of it being original. I want to walk out viewing the world from a new angle, or else feel completely entertained. I feel like cinematography is the art and practice of making a picture.

It seems like EVERY SINGLE MOVIE IS A REMAKE. About two weeks ago I heard that an Evil Dead remake was in the works. I mean, seriously? What could be done to make that movie any better? Does every movie have to be more modern in order to be considered "good"? I really thought about it today when I was trying to decide on a movie to see when I go down to the beach next week. I really wanted to see Tree of Life or Midnight in Paris. Those movies don't play within a two hour radius of my house.

I think that movieline described it perfectly in a previous article:

"In fact, according to research conducted by Box Office Mojo, Hollywood will release an all-time record number of sequels in 2011: 27, beating the previous high of 24 set in 2003. But it isn't just sequels that are clogging the multiplexes. A look at this year's release calendar -- which includes titles like Conan the Barbarian, Arthur, The Thing, Fright Night, Footloose, and a Muppet movie -- is enough to make a movie fan wonder if he accidentally slipped into a hot tub time machine and landed in the 1980s. (At least the Total Recall remake is still a year away.)"

I decided to make a list of movies that have been remakes in just the past year and movies that are in production right now that are remakes. Actually, I'm going to take it a step further. I'm going to add movies based on cartoons, superheroes, etc. to this list. Heck, I'm throwing in sequels, too. I'm curious to see how much original content is being shown in theaters.

The Unoriginal List
  • Cars 2
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2
  • The Hangover Part 2
  • Happy Feet 2
  • Hoodwinked Too!
  • Johnny English Reborn
  • Kung Fu Panda 2
  • Piranha 3D
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks sequel
  • Big Momma's sequel
  • Madea's sequel (i think the 26th in the series)
  • Paranormal Activity 3
  • Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon
  • New Mission Impossible
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Dark Knight Rises
  • Amazing Spider-Man
  • Superman
  • Green Lantern
  • Thor
  • Captain America
  • Iron Man 2
  • Fast Five
  • Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 and 2
  • Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Pt. 1
  • Scream 4
  • Spy Kids 4
  • Final Destination 5
And I'm just going to stop there because I'm sick of typing. It's funny how you watch something and then you IMDB it, only to find that it's a remake. And sometimes of a remake of a remake!
Either way, I was started today to find some of the numbers that I did.

It's 2011. DSLRs are in the hands of aspiring movie makers everywhere. I'm shocked that the only things most people are subjected to are crapfest remakes. There is hope. There are people passionate enough with brilliant minds to keep the movie business' creativity from drying up.

What I learned: A generation of free-thinking, original, cinematographers must rise from the ash to bring the movie world back to prominence. Sequels (including prequels and spin-offs) comprise over a fifth of the currently scheduled nationwide releases, tallying 27 (according to data from Box Office Mojo). Snap!

No comments:

Post a Comment