So, I normally want to keep this down to a post per day, but this issue was about to drive me insane. I read a million (exaggeration, but it was close) posts on macrumors and apple help to figure out what my problem was.
I was asked to make 10 DVD's of a project I had recently completed from a polo match/birthday party. The first DVD was delivered nearly a month ago. I was contacted this week with the new assignment. I assured them it would be no problem. I always keep one hard drive full of any projects I've done for at least 2 years. I knew I had the footage, I knew it would be okay. It wasn't.
I popped in a DVD fresh out of the pack and, after about 15 minutes of rendering menus and such, it gave me an error message. The message said, "Error during rendering/encoding menus". It then recognized my disc as a blank disk and started me back over in the burning process from scratch.
I felt alone and helpless sorting through tons of posts on the subject, but none really made sense. Only Chris Carraba could make me feel less emo. Then, I found the fix on my own. Several posts described "muting the menu." I knew that my sound was fine when I previewed it, but it took some time to figure out what was up because most of these posts weren't for iDVD '11. I'm hoping to make this a simple fix.
Step 1: Go to the menu. It can be any of them, so you might want to check out all of them just to be on the safe side.
Step 2: Click the button on the right ( I assume it's for a drop down menu to add content, not sure of the exact name).
Step 3: The small photo on the left is titled "menu". There will be a small speaker icon, it's very similar to the one that pops up when you change your volume on your Mac. It should have "waves" coming out of it. If you do not see it, or are unsure, click the icon and you'll see what I'm talking about. It basically toggles the mute function.
That should fix it!
I honestly have no idea how I muted it, but the DVD's have burned successfully after I made that small change. I spent around an hour and a half trying to get it down. I feel like this is probably the easiest post you'll find on fixing it.