Thursday, August 4, 2011

WILT: iDVD '11 Troubleshooting- 'Error during rendering/encoding menu"

So, I normally want to keep this down to a post per day, but this issue was about to drive me insane. I read a million (exaggeration, but it was close) posts on macrumors and apple help to figure out what my problem was.

I was asked to make 10 DVD's of a project I had recently completed from a polo match/birthday party. The first DVD was delivered nearly a month ago. I was contacted this week with the new assignment. I assured them it would be no problem. I always keep one hard drive full of any projects I've done for at least 2 years. I knew I had the footage, I knew it would be okay. It wasn't.

I popped in a DVD fresh out of the pack and, after about 15 minutes of rendering menus and such, it gave me an error message. The message said, "Error during rendering/encoding menus". It then recognized my disc as a blank disk and started me back over in the burning process from scratch.

I felt alone and helpless sorting through tons of posts on the subject, but none really made sense. Only Chris Carraba could make me feel less emo. Then, I found the fix on my own. Several posts described "muting the menu." I knew that my sound was fine when I previewed it, but it took some time to figure out what was up because most of these posts weren't for iDVD '11. I'm hoping to make this a simple fix.

Step 1: Go to the menu. It can be any of them, so you might want to check out all of them just to be on the safe side.



Step 2: Click the button on the right ( I assume it's for a drop down menu to add content, not sure of the exact name).


Step 3
: The small photo on the left is titled "menu". There will be a small speaker icon, it's very similar to the one that pops up when you change your volume on your Mac. It should have "waves" coming out of it. If you do not see it, or are unsure, click the icon and you'll see what I'm talking about. It basically toggles the mute function.
That should fix it!

I honestly have no idea how I muted it, but the DVD's have burned successfully after I made that small change. I spent around an hour and a half trying to get it down. I feel like this is probably the easiest post you'll find on fixing it.


Happy burning!


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So glad that this was helpful. Please let others know, as I feel that this is a problem that pops up quite frequently.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post. This drove me nuts. However, did that mean that you are not able to put background music on the main menu anymore? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - this was perfect. I wish you could mute the background though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't believe this worked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you posted this, what a silly bug! The tutorial tells you to mute the theme music if you want. Now I just turn down the volume on the music to nothing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks was about ready to tear my hair out before I found your post. I could not understand the techno-speak in all the other web searches I read. Thanks for explaining the solution in plain language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou!!!! This saved my life. Totally awesome.
      Oh and if you want to change the backgrounb music just add a track of your own choosing to the drop zone

      Delete
  7. You are amazing! I thought I was going to have to redo the whole idvd according to other posts I had found about the issue. It makes no sense that idvd lets you add sound but then wont burn properly if you use this feature. Luckily I don't care that much about the sound so this fix saved the day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, worked perfectly for me. I'm just glad yours was the second link I clicked on in search of a solution. Much preferable to those millions of macrumour threads. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, solved my problem, too. Thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Worked like a charm. I never would have seen this. Thanks especially for pointing out where the sound/mute icon was. Even knowing where to look it was very low contrast and not easy to find!

    ReplyDelete