Thursday, August 11, 2011

WILT: Going online via mobile devices will overtake traditional methods

I read a crazy post today on http://mobithinking.com/ . It basically was a rundown of stats about getting online from a mobile device. My dad sent me an e-mail with ten of the most surprising.

1. There are 5.3 billion mobile subscribers (that’s 77 percent of the world population).

2. Within 5 years mobile will overtake PC as the most popular way to get on the Web.

3. In 2011 over 85 percent of new handsets will be able to access the mobile Web.

4. 25% of mobile Web users in the US are mobile only.

5. The number of mobile Web searches has quadrupled in the last year.

6. 71 percent of smartphone users that see TV, press or online ad, do a mobile search.

7. Mobile ad spend worldwide is predicted to sky rocket to $20.6 billion in 2015.

8. The most used mobile apps in the US are games; news; maps; social and music.

9. Paying by mobile i.e. m-payments will be worth US$240 billion in 2011

10. M-payments could reach over US$1 trillion by 2015.


These numbers didn't really surprise me all that much. I used to have a really old Nokia flip phone from my freshman year of college until August of 2010. I had a Razr, the worst phone of all-time, and I was on my third. It bit the dust and my mom gave me that phone. Last August, I got a plan with AT&T and got an iPhone. My life is no longer the same.

Now, I can't imagine what I would do if I had a phone without a data plan. Just in the past day I have:

  • Found the closest movie theater to where we were eating (Flixster app). I then looked up reviews for the movies. I picked out a showtime and bought the tickets all within the app.
  • Dad and I were looking for good seafood. I went on UrbanSpoon and read reviews before making my final choice.
  • Won an argument by googling the correct answer.
Those are just a few of the things that I have done that really helped out over the past few days. It's getting to the point that a computer is good for the handful of things that you can't do on a smartphone ... yet. I can do just about anything on my iPhone. I really use my computer to type on Word, edit video in Final Cut, and record music. I blog via computer, but that's just because my fingers are too fat to type very well on the iPhone.

These numbers don't really surprise me, but it does prove how rapidly technology is progressing. Anyway, it's what I learned today.

What I learned today: Within 5 years mobile will overtake PC as the most popular way to get on the Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment