Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Twilight Zone

I think I have a serious problem. It's 2 a.m. and I'm on the 26th episode of "The Twilight Zone." No, I haven't watched all of them in a row, but it's seriously been over the span of two weeks. When Netflix put the first few seasons to be instant streamed, I was stoked.

Netflix has literally changed my life. People would always ask me, "Ben, have you seen _____?" I would generally always respond with some type of no. I'm shocked at how many movies I've seen in a year and a half as a Netflix advocate. It's unbelievable. I mean, back in the day, it would cost me probably close to $30 a month for the amount of movies I get each month via DVD in the mail.

Don't get me wrong, Redbox is pretty dang chill, but I DIG my instant streaming on Netflix. I think we've tried to simplify the movie rental process, but we've actually made it more confusing. I hate, hate, hate having to wait in line at Redbox. There are several all around Florence, but there always seems to be people waiting in line. Not just that, but what happens when it rains? No one wants to hide from the elements under the "Redbox flap." If you do, whatever floats your boat, man.

Neflix has all of these people reviewing titles and it's completely screwing with what I decide to watch. There are a few people that I even give a rat's butt crack about their movie opinions. Steven Herring, Kris Kirk and Ryan Hodgin and that's pretty much it. I don't really care that Billy Joe in Wisconsin gave "Se7en" 2.5 stars, that movie is in my top 5. I'd rather have a close friend, with tastes in movies comparable to mine say, "Hey man, that movie sucked. " Or "Dude, that one is a must-see."

That means a lot more to me than the anonymous person typing over the Internet. Don't call me crazy, some people have awesome opinions. I just think some people try to act all uber, holier-than-thou movie critic when they're favorite movie is "Gigli."

I have a really simple way of deciding whether I like a movie or not. It either needs to entertain me enough that I really enjoy myself, or else it should leave me completely challenged. I can't tell you how much I love psych thrillers. They're tight.

I'm not sure where I was going with this, but if haven't signed up for Netflix, DO IT NOW! It will be a decision that you can't possibly regret. The 9 second mark describes what I want to say to you, the reader. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhW_hAkvzxM

No comments:

Post a Comment